Friday, May 30, 2008

"When Deyna Met Ryan"

I met Ryan Robert my freshman year of college, almost six years ago. I was nervous on my way to my first college track meet in a van with a group of new teammates and Ryan sat down next to me. I had never spoke more than a few words to him so I really didn't pay any attention to him at first. He didn't join the team until after football was over so I had only seen him a few times before. I had brought my MP3 player with me and I got it out and started listening to get relaxed for the ride to Seattle. Right away, he asked if he could have one of my headphones to listen with me. I didn't think he would like the country music that I had on it, but he never complained....he just kept making fun of my "country accent". We sang, talked about track and life (I was pleasantly surprised that we had a lot in common) and it helped me calm my nerves for the weekend. I thought he was goofy, intelligent, really fun, down to earth and pretty darn cute :)

We talked a little throughout the weekend, but not much. Then, when we were all getting back in the van to head home I heard Ryan say "same seats". I remember smiling and thinking "does he really want to sit by me or did he just really like his seat"!! We talked the whole way home and it was a great ride. To be honest, I was glad to make a new friend and it was nice to know that I had new teammates that I got along with really well. I looked forward to the next trip.

Then, about a week later my roommate Gayle's boyfriend, Patrick, told me that Ryan had asked for my phone number and he had given it to him. I don't think I have ever been so nervous or curious about a phone call. "What did he want to talk to me for." He called me that night and we talked for a few minutes but I still didn't think much of it. He said he just wanted to say hello :) I thought he was very attractive and I knew that our personalities were alot alike, but he had an ex-girlfriend that was still on the track team with us and the last thing I wanted to do was cause problems with my new teammates. So, a few days later he asked me to go out on a date and I turned him down. I didn't give any explanation, I just said "no thanks". Sorry Ry! He actually asked me a few more times in the next week-he was determined...I think he just really wanted me to give him a good reason why I wouldn't just go to the movies. Finally, I told my roommates what had happened and and they convinced me to forget about everything and give it a try...have some fun. Thank you Gayle and Camelle :)

We started hanging out almost everyday and became really good friends at first. He made me laugh and smile all the time and I really enjoyed his company, no matter what we were doing. I always give him a hard time, because I didn't even think he really liked me for the longest time because it took him well over a month before he even tried to kiss me or show any signs of romantic interest because he was so nervous! But I have to say, I am really glad that we got to know each other as friends before we started a relationship because I think it has made us stronger together.

Their is so much more I could say about the early years, but I'll save that for future posts :) So, to sum up my "When Harry met Sally" love story...I married my best friend. I feel extremely blessed because we have made it through so much together and he still gives me butterflies in my tummy. Mushy I know, I'm feeling a little emotional today...but it's true and I want to make sure that he knows that I'm very proud of our story and our relationship. It took us a little while to get things figured out and we spent some time apart for a while, but we always remained really close friends. If anything happened in our lives, we wanted to tell each other. He was important to me. I always knew from the very beginning that we would end up together. I couldn't explain it, I just knew.

It is fun for me to think back to the early days of us because I feel like we are still the exact same people we were when we met. If anything, we have changed each other for the better. One of our friends Matt said in our wedding video that he has loved watching Ryan and I together because I never tried to change him. He said that girls Ryan had dated in the past had always tried to change the way he would act or try to get him to quit being so goofy. But I never tried to do that.I was always attracted to his personality. That is one of my favorite things about him. He still makes me laugh and smile everyday and I do have to say that I think I do the same for him :)

No comments: